Did you know that fall is the perfect time to get your car ready for winter? As the temperature in Michigan changes and you begin to prepare your self for the frigid temps coming our way, it is important to ensure that you don’t forget to prepare your car as well. Here are the top five things to pay attention to when servicing your car during the fall:
- Tires- When temperatures drop, roads become slippery and snowy. Checking that your tires are in good condition for winter is very important. Having proper threading on your tires is important not just for your car, but for your safety as well. Tires that are worn out tend to be called “bald” It is very important to have bald tires replaced prior to the winter. You might even look into buy tires that are made specifically for winter driving in Michigan.
- Brakes- Regardless of the weather, brakes are the most critical part of vehicle safety. Be sure to have your brake pads as well as drums or rotors checked. Be sure to contact our car maintenance professionals for information on brake services in Westland.
- Battery- As winter arrives, cold weather is rough on your car battery. Checking the battery connections and
ensuring that there is no corrosion around the battery connections is important in allowing your battery to function properly. It is recommended to replace your battery after 3 years, going no more than 5 years without replacing your battery.
- Defrost/Heat- Who doesn’t want to stay warm during their daily commutes to and from work or school? Of course having proper working heat is important to you, but it is also important for your car. Allowing your car to properly warm up and defrost helps fluids run smoothly though your vehicles engine and transmission. Remember, driving with a “birds eye view” is extremely dangerous, be sure to let your windows properly defrost before hitting the road.Contact us now to have your heating/cooling checked.
- Wiper Blades- If your windshield wiper blades are not doing very well clearing your windshield, unfortunately when ice and snow arrive, it is only going to get worse. The winter puts a lot of work on wiper blades because more often than not you aren’t just clearing water from your window, small ice formations are also being cleared, causing more wear and tear.
Of course there are other important things to have checked before the cold air comes, such as getting an oil change, tune up, or other winter car maintenance, but we wanted to share the top five fall maintenance tips to protect your safety during the winter.
Be sure to ask our auto professionals about winterizing your car.
Happy New Year from Mr. Muffler. We have many things planned for 2015 and we are honored to be able to share another year with you. As the year begins, we would like to remind you to be safe on the road. With temperatures in the Detroit area dropping below zero, you should have a plan in place for an emergency on the road.
Build your own Mr. Muffler winter emergency kit at home by acquiring these items:
- Gloves, socks, hats, sleeping bags and blankets
- Flares and reflectors for emergencies
- Extra cell phone battery or charger adapter
- Snack food that doesn’t expire (candy or energy bars)
- Flashlight with extra batteries, lighter
- First Aid Kit
- Booster Cables
- salt, sand, or cat litter
Daily Winter Car Emergency Tips
Stay in your vehicle! If you are in an unfamiliar area, you may become lost or put yourself in danger by wandering off.
Tell A Buddy! Always let someone know where you are going and how you will get there.
Keep Gas In Your Car!
It is advised that you keep over a half tank of gas in your car.
The beginning of the year is a wonderful time to get your car service. Schedule your first start now!
Don’t forget our January specials! A full service oil change is only $21.95. On brake services, we are offering $10.00 off brakes per axle.